fognl

Get off my lawn.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Greed 2: Weekend update!

This weekend's update of Greed 2 adds a few new things, and fixes a couple of ones that needed fixing.

Removed the fading "read/unread" panels from the tops of the Feed list, Folder list, and Article list. They were getting in peoples' way, and weren't as cool looking as I'd hoped. Those items are now safely out of the way, on the options menu.

Mark all as read: You can now mark all the articles in a feed or label as read. Pick the "Mark all as read" option menu item in the Article list.
Filtering for all/unread items in article list now works correctly.
Changes to request headers sent to Google Reader to get GZipped content. Download times should be quicker. It's very quick on my Nexus One. Then again, everything I've tried so far is. (I guess I could test this on my G1, but that would take away from the time I get to hold the sweet Nexus One in my hand.)
New "default share address" preference. Specify an e-mail address here, and when you share an article, the "to" field will be populated with this value by default. I could have (perhaps should have) tied this into the contacts on the phone, and probably will at some point. For now, it's a free-form text field. So if you don't feel comfortable typing a valid e-mail address into this space, well... Get a relative to do it or something.
Preferences for "follow links" and "scale articles." These options affect the appearance of articles in the viewer. By default, "follow links" is turned off, which means you won't accidentally follow a link when you're touching the article. You can long-press any item in the article viewer (e.g. picture, link) to toggle these settings on and off for the current session.

Next up, I've got an experiment I want to try with Google Reader requests, which should make Greed somewhat faster for some operations. Also, a few UI improvements and fulfilling some feature requests.

Have fun, and let me know what you think.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:30 AM , Blogger JOfferijns said...

    Hi,

    Can you please help me?
    I really like your application for it's nice UI and the performance (I find it much faster than NewsRob, which I've been using before).
    However, the only main thing that is bothering me is that notifications are not working.
    I already checked all the settings under notifications, polling interval is every 5 minutes, and have clicked on all the light bulbs, but I still dont seem to get any notifications.
    Btw, I have the lite version on a Nexus One.

    I hope you can provide me with a solution.

     
  • At 10:06 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Jeroen,

    Notifications are next on the list to work on. For some reason, they're not notifying reliably, but should be by about Tuesday night. :-)

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     
  • At 1:56 PM , Blogger BK said...

    Kelly, thanks for your application. I can't believe how difficult google reader is to use on the native browser and that I would need a stand alone app.

    A few questions as I could not find the answer anywhere easily.
    1) what is the difference between paid and free?
    2) any possibility of making "show unread only" a setting? i keep seeming empty feeds show up in the folder view. and I keep having to click show unread each time.

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Hi BK,

    Actually, "Show unread only" is a setting. Whenever you select "All Items" or "Unread Items" in the feed, folder, or article lists, the setting is saved so it's in effect the next time you enter the screen.

    As for the differences between the lite and paid versions, I haven't decided yet. As of now, the lite version is based on a new code base which the full version will be based on eventually. I haven't decided which features are going to be "paid" ones yet. I'm still thinking about it.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Blogger BK said...

    I guess what I was referring to if I have a feed for Engadget and I read them all... I still see the "engadget" feed in the main folder, it just has no feeds within it being shown. in google reader, "engadget" would just disappear until a new feed was posted.

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    BK, I think that should be fixed now. If it's not, let me know, and it will be soon. :-)

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Blogger Dave said...

    (Not sure of a better place for this, sorry)

    I have started getting the following error

    Sorry! There was an error loading articles. The error message is At line 119, column 11: not well-formed (invalid token).

    Sounds quite like the old V1 problems =(

     
  • At 9:15 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Dave,

    It certainly does! Please click the "Clear Tokens" item on the main options menu, and see if the problem persists. Currently, I'm leaving that as an explicit action to make it easier to test whenever I see the problem. At some point, it will handle the "invalid token" issue automatically.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Dave said...

    How could I have missed that huge button as I was heading to the settings?

    That doesn't seem to have worked, unfortunately.

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Dave said...

    Curse my impatience! Having given it a while (presumably long enough for Greed to be killed by the process manager, or for the magic dust to take effect), clearing the tokens seems to have done the trick! Thanks for the quick response

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Dave,

    Good to hear! Glad it's working again. Although it's interesting to me that you had to wait for Greed to die/re-start before the fix took effect. I'll look into this.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home