fognl

Get off my lawn.

Monday, October 19, 2009

RingControl updates

I've been ramping down lately on the Big Android Project(tm) I was working on for two months. It's out on the market now, and I'm getting back into updating my own apps.

The first thing to do is get them all updated so they run well on Donut. The first app I'm working on is RingControl, the app that sets ringer mode based on the phone's physical position. I'm looking for suggestions.

I've seen some complaints about force-closes when using the "shake to wake" feature. That feature seemed like a cool idea at the time I added it, but now that the in-call UI has been updated to be less annoying in Cupcake and Donut, I'm thinking of taking the shake-to-wake feature out of RingControl. Seems kind of pointless to have that in there now. Anyone using RingControl, let me know: Would you feel ripped off or anything if that feature were to
disappear in a future update?

Another thing I'm thinking of removing is the SMS-command response function. I think it's a cool feature, but it's kind of out of place in RingControl. No one seems to know it's there. There's an application called SMS Commander that does a similar thing. The guy who wrote it actually claims to have a patent pending on the idea of having a phone do things in response to SMS messages. (Too bad for him... I happen to hold a patent on the use of the letter "L" in SMS messages.)

I don't know how many RingControl users read this blog, but if any do, let me know what you'd like to see in a RingControl update.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM , Blogger Mr. Dead Man said...

    Did HTC steal your ring control idea for Hero?? It also turns off the ringer when you flip it upside down or something similar http://fognl.blogspot.com/2008/11/android-ring-control.html

     
  • At 8:52 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I don't know if they stole it, but if they did, that's kind of flattering. :-)

     
  • At 12:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Kelly - I'd be interested in an app that automatically turns the ringer on when the device is charging (or automatically turns it off when not charging). There's an app for Blackberries called "Ring with Vibe" that has that functionality, but so far I've been unable to find anything like that for Android.

     
  • At 12:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'd be interested in an Android app that automatically turns on the ringer when it's charging (or turns it off when it's not charging. There is an app for Blackberries called "Ring with Vibe" that has this functionality, but I can't find anything for Android that does this.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Alex,

    That's another cool idea. I've been getting a number of those lately, and I'll be incorporating those into an update in the near future.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

     
  • At 8:21 AM , Blogger Mr. Dead Man said...

    Really Kelly? Wow..very giving of you. I would probably sue lol. Or at least threaten to.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home